Wednesday, May 22, 2013

How to Get Your Photography Noticed, Gain Recognition and Start Making Money


The Questions

When a reader wrote, "Recently I have taken an interest in photography and am taking a photography class at a local community college." She then asked, "How do I get my artwork noticed by someone who can do something about it?"
She added that her art, "... is something that I am very passionate about and I want people to see and hear my message through my art." Questions like, "who do I show my art to?" and "How do I get my work out there?" are common to myriads of amateur and professional photographers and artists alike. Since "a picture can often be more powerful than someone giving a speech", an important question for many is how do I get my work noticed?

Although photography is not my principal occupation, I do use it almost daily as a supplement to my university English EFL teaching and writing. I'd suggest trying these approaches to help get your photography "out there". If your work is not on display it can't get noticed by those who may be in a position to allow you to benefit from your skills, insight and vision.

Five Viable Approaches

1. First, try to get your work up on the web. Use your own website or a blog. Use a photo to introduce a short commentary on your specific topic. For a type of example look at some of my blog postings at: http://bettereflteacher.blogspot.com Be sure to look at all the photographer websites you can find to inspiration and ideas, but don't copy. Always be original.

2. Then, look into photo banks that accept freelance work. Do a Google search and you'll come up with plenty of them. Read through their guidelines and submit accordingly. If you need specific recommendations on this do a targeted search inside the general search results. If you're still really stuck, e-mail me and I'll try to help.

3. Next, enter photo shows, competitions, media works display shows and contests. Winning or placing even in a small local event or contest can get your work noticed quickly and at high levels. Check local photo shops, schools and the media for listings of these events. Participate in as many as you possibly can. Each and every week, month and year have your work entered or displayed somewhere, somehow.

4. After that, try working with writers who could use your photos as art to accompany their articles, posts, reports, books, etc. and get some of your photos published. The more exposure by different means, in different media on and offline that you can get, the better. Try unique ideas for exposing yourself and your work to a broad-based public and focused groups. Print your business cards, flyers and brochures on the backs of selected photos. Offer them framed for display in company lobbies and reception areas. Use any other ideas you can come up with. Carefully read photography guidelines available online at newspaper and magazine websites. Follow submissions recommendations to the letter.

5. Fifth, Keep shooting. Keep practicing and growing in your craft. You'll get better and grow. This will show in your work, but don't wait until you're "better", start pushing, and showing your work now. It'll be a great incentive for you to continue to forge ahead. I'd like to see some of your work myself. Let me know when and where you get your blog, website or other online display up and I'll personally check it out and give you further comments.

Winston Churchill Said It Best

Finally, in the words of the late Winston Churchill, "Never, never, never, never give up" Keep on with what you love no matter what anybody else says about you or your work. You work to express yourself and that's paramount to your success. Do everything you can to get your photography out there, get noticed and start making money and otherwise reaping some benefits from your skills, insight, and vision.

I hope these suggestions help. Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment