Wednesday, November 6, 2013

How to Determine If You're a Good Photographer?


Is it human nature not to try to succeed out of fear of failure? It would be sad if that were true.

I ask this question because we get negative statements like this all the time. Many contemporary photographers fear so many things. The biggest problem is a lack of confidence. The next problem is the lack of a real desire to succeed.

We hear these statements every day:

1. I have never taken a masterful picture. I'm going to give up the dream of becoming a professional photographer. I'm just not good enough. (This shows lack of esteem and motivation)

3. I am not looking to sell any photographs that I take, I just want to learn how to take better pictures. (This statement is fair enough)

4. I typically just take candid or photojournalistic shots. I do not like posed shots in front of a back drop. I prefer the spontaneity of candid prints. (The student is making an artistic statement which shows he or she understands exactly what they do and do not like. This is what you're looking to determine.)

5. I have always only used the auto settings on my digital SLR. I would love to learn how to use the manual settings to take better pictures. (This photography student has advanced questions. It looks as if this student will succeed in finding the answers. Anyone who can ask these type of questions usually has the motivation to succeed.)

6. I am a complete novice who has only taken adequate snapshots in the past. (This staement reflects a lack of confidence. If the student wants to learn to take better photographs he can.)

7. I am learning from the ground up. I hope I become a decent photographer. (Did this student just say, "I hope."? Obviously this shows that the student isn't aware that he has the ability to do whatever he determines to do.)

Whatever your intention is for taking our photography courses it is time to evaluate your skills and goals. We can't help you if you can't articulate your needs.Please tell us what you wish to learn from our online photography courses. We can help if we know your goals and conviction to success.

Please have a conversation with yourself. You should determine where you want to go in your career. You should decide how you plan on getting where you want to be.

In any course of study this is typically the place to start. Evaluate your ability, goals and motivation now. Send us a letter with your conclusions and any questions. We love it when our students write. In fact, most students sign up and then quickly drop out of their studies. I know from experience that unless you are truly motivated no amount of skill will ever pay off.

No comments:

Post a Comment