Sunday, February 9, 2014

Time Management For Photographers


Most of us have commitments, whether they're children, spouses, demanding 9-5 jobs, voluntary work or an all consuming frustrating golf handicap. Where does photography fit in? Perhaps more importantly, 'how' does photography fit in?

We all say we're too busy to do things, but all we really mean is that we'd rather be doing something else. Many photographers say they don't have time to write an email newsletter to their clients, or keep their blog up to date, or keep detailed records of every client they won and lost. However, lots of photographers manage all these tasks and many more.

So, if you're struggling to devote as much time to your photography as you'd like then here are my tips for finding that 25th hour in the day:

How much does photography mean to you?

Is it a hobby you enjoy, or a career you're yearning for? If it's your dream job, then how important is it to you to have a job you'll love? Waking up each morning being excited, eager and in control of your own business sounds pretty fantastic right? No boss, no bureaucracy and you're the captain of your own ship.

Once I realised that photography was my dream job it became my second highest priority (just below a shouting wife - when she's shouting!).

There are so many things we all do that eat up time. I've slashed the amount of TV I watch since I dedicated myself to photography, although I still take in a horror or two now and then...

Yes there are some programs that I miss that I would have liked to have seen, but a successful photography career is more important to me than another Frasier rerun.

I stopped reading the newspaper and I get my news from the radio in the car now.

Stop surfing the net indiscriminately. Use it as a tool to access what you need to achieve your goals, not as an idle distraction. Otherwise it will devour time like a Tasmanian Devil with worms.

I used to go out with friends all the time (I started photography in my 20s). If I wanted a new life I knew I had to reduce this habit. So I did and hey, I still have all the same friends and they're all happy for me that I'm taking control of my life.

Can you reduce other commitments? Do you really want to be on the PTA or treasurer for your local club? Are you doing it out of guilt or because you feel you'll let others down? Put yourself first for a while. You can always go back to these things. I've played table tennis since I was 7 but once I decided photography was more important I drastically reduced the amount I played.

OK, so if you've decided that you really want to dedicate yourself to forging a photography career the next few tips will help you find the time to do it.

Don't busy yourself

Depending on where you are with your photography there will always be two or three things that are way more important to focus on than the rest. It may be getting your website set up or booking a training session, but it's probably not randomly trawling through photography forums - unless there's something that might be on that forum to help you with one of your bigger tasks.

Ask yourself why you're about to do something and whether there's something more useful, important or effective you could be doing.

Plan your day

It's amazing how much more you get done when you have it all written down and worked out. There's less faffing! It's staggering how time flies when you potter indiscriminately. Simply getting up 20 minutes earlier each day to allocate your time will help focus your mind. Plan this time in with your significant others too. Even small amounts of time (say, one hour to go through Photoshop video tutorials) are worth clearing with your spouse. Interruptions kill creativity, efficiency and your ability to learn.

Do you need a stepping stone job?

If you're working 10-12 hours a day in your day job then it makes it harder to find the time or energy to concentrate on your photography. I ditched my job and found a similar one that was nearer home and only 9-5. Suddenly I was at work for just 8 hours, I had 8 hours sleep and 8 hours of free time.

Make very conscious decisions.

It's fine to say "today I'm just going to sit around in my pants and watch horror movies". You'll enjoy it so much more when you've dedicated this 'pants and horror' time deliberately rather than getting to the end of the day and looking at the rubble of pizza boxes and your tightening pants and thinking "Oh lord, what have I become!"

On days when you are concentrating on your photography (fully clothed I hope) you may decide that today you're focusing on Photoshop, or learning about flash, or setting up/updating your website, creating a list of suitable people/companies who you could do a mutually beneficial deal with (Exhibiting your photos in a local café or restaurant, for example).

Do one thing a day

If you're really pushed for time, try to do one really productive thing a day. It doesn't need to be big, just something that takes you another step closer to becoming a better photographer, or a better paid photographer. You can get an amazing amount done in 30 minutes. You could finally get round to sorting out your Public Liability and Professional Indemnity Insurance that every photographer should have. You could read your camera or flash instructions from cover to cover and pick up some functions you never knew existed.

How to explain photography to your spouse

All the money and time is a big strain. To your other half it seems a very selfish activity. You need to explain that this is about creating a new life that will benefit the whole family. You'll be happier and therefore a better partner, you'll have more time at home (depending on what type of photographer you become and how good you are at marketing and managing your career) and a successful photographer can earn a very good wage.

Encourage your partner to do what you're doing and follow their dream. It can get quite infectious.

Why am I writing all this? I find it sad that I give personal photography training to people who would clearly love to pursue it as a career but they're not picking up their camera from one week to the next. They'll never make it unless they make some serious changes. Will you? I'm sat here at nearly midnight writing this article to help my Google ranking. Would you?

No comments:

Post a Comment