Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Graduation Portraits


Graduation portraits are portraits that are taken by an external photographer inside a studio set-up with the student dressed, from head to toe, in their academic graduation gowns. If that sounded like a sentence with too many words, then try putting two and two together yourself. The first word is graduation, which is simple enough to understand, even if you are in primary school. The second word is portrait. Now this one could be tricky depending on your education level. A portrait is generally a rendition of a single person's upper body and particularly their face.

Portraits can be either paintings or photographs. Since we are living in the 21st century, we'll assume that by portrait we mean a photograph of a person's upper body. Alright, now let's put the two words together; what do we get? A photograph taken after graduation? Yes! You got it right! I knew the process of breakdown would work wonders. A graduation portrait is a picture that is taken with the student in his or her graduation gown and cap. They are not really required, per se, but it helps to have a visual proof of your academic credentials. After all, you never know.

Alright enough dark thoughts. Graduation portraits are a must if you wish to cherish the memory of your graduation day for the years to come. You will find yourself flipping through your photo album or gazing at your mom's wall and you will find your old graduation portrait and believe me, you will smile. Chances are you will only wear your academic gowns for graduation once and then never again. I certainly have never gotten the opportunity to wear my academicals after the convocation ceremony (alright, I did put them on once more for taking the graduation portrait). The same is true for my friends as well.

None of us have had much use for the academicals we were given ( the caps and gowns for high school graduation) after the ceremony was over. Most of my friends don't even remember where they have stored their academic dresses. That's the thing; we wear academic gowns for graduation alone, unless we attend a high profile university that expects students to strut around in their formals all the time. I certainly wasn't fortunate enough to go to such a place. The only other time that I wore my graduation cap and gown was when I got my graduation portrait taken, as I have mentioned previously. I went around town looking for the best studio I could afford with my limited budget. You will find that there are many places that are willing to work at your price and still provide some great shots. The important thing is to discuss with the photographer what you want and the possible ways to get it.

Graduation portraits are a great way to preserve memories. I had a real wild one taken and every time I look at it, I am forced to acknowledge what a wild little kid I really was back then.

No comments:

Post a Comment