Sunday, May 12, 2013

Should My Kid Go to a Magnet School?


My son just finished his 2nd year at Kealing Middle School, it is a magnet school here in Austin, Texas. The school is great and my son loves it. He's had some great experiences at the school and the teachers are some of the best I've seen, also, they really seem to be into their jobs.

Think about it, if you are a magnet teacher, you know that the majority of your students are motivated and interested in what you are teaching. Also, most of the screw-offs and kids who don't care don't go to magnet schools. The teachers and the curriculum is what I think sets magnet programs apart. Having teachers who are into what they teach is a beautiful thing.

We've had to make a few minor sacrifices for my son to go to Kealing. School starts earlier than regular middle schools; the bus comes way early so I drive him to school everyday; and he gets lots of homework. The amount of homework isn't really bad, but it does cut into after school activities. He had been playing baseball and quit at the start of 7th grade because he knew he was going to get hammered with homework--he was right.

The classes available to kids in the magnet program is great. Most of his classes are pre-AP level and beyond. His algebra and Japanese are high school level and he gets high school credits for those classes. He's had astronomy, robotics, mathcounts, Texas history (I love this), intro to flight, and black and white photography, among many other great classes.

So no matter how much of a challenge it might be for you or your child I think it's a smart move to try to get your kid in a magnet program.

No comments:

Post a Comment