Sunday, June 16, 2013

How I Became an Instructional Designer


About a decade ago, I started out as an instructional designer by sheer accident. I had some experience of writing ad copy and promotional material and was called in for an interview by a top e-learning company. I sat for an exam that- I must confess-I thoroughly enjoyed. They showed me pictures and asked me to write 100-word passages on each picture, asked me to write dialogues, and made me do some interesting reasoning exercises. If this was a test, then the job must be absolute fun, I said to myself.

About a month after that, I got the job. I was super exited. I thought I knew what I was getting into. It seemed so similar to advertising. I heard similar marketing jargon all around me: target audience, content, ARCS, ADDIE, and so on. I was eager to start on a project and somewhat overconfident to not want to waste any time learning more than what I already knew.

And here I was with my very first project. A course for an online MBA class and the subject was strategic marketing. Ah! I am familiar with this subject, I thought to myself. Secretly, from the back door or my subconscious mind, anxiety had begun to creep in. I was hearing unfamiliar jargon and some wired acronyms - project lifecycle, mpp, SME, and many others that are now a part of my regular life so wouldn't remember. As I started my way into the project lifecycle, I enjoyed being creative, being the representative of the target audience, and advised the SME on how to make the content more learner centric, without really being formally aware of theory and the principles of instructional design.

It all began with common sense and I enjoyed noticing how my common sense mellowed well with the thoughts of Bloom, Merrill, Gagne, Kirkpatrick, and others. But guess what, it was not just these theories and principle that I learned. I also learned about some critical points that seemed bigger and more important than all the instructional theories in the world-the hanging hyphen, the em dash (-), the en dash (-), the double and the missing spaces, the serial commas, and some subjectivity behind the rules of grammar. The hyphens and the dashes ruined my life. Well, almost! I almost forgot about all principles of instructional design and just focused on getting those dashes right. Ran across cubicles to know that if it were a title, should it be "Air-conditioned Room" or "Air-Conditioned Room" (notice the -c and the -C of conditioned?). The responses were split into a clear half. I was offended. How is it that they don't know? Later I came to know that the correct and incorrect is decided on the basis of a client's preference of how they deem the correct form to be.

And then came a day, when someone handed me a new project that required me to learn Java Script. Heavens fell over me. Two weeks down the line, I was comfortably writing html codes and publishing my own courses, capturing simulations on Captivate, using some robust LMS, creating virtual lectures, and even playing with flash to create some interesting on-screen interactions. It was at this point, that I almost felt like a professional, who needs to upgrade her core skills and keep learning new technologies that can help deliver instruction better.

Today, I am an instructional Designer. This is not my job. This is my profession.

No comments:

Post a Comment