Sunday, August 11, 2013

A Regular Guy's Thoughts and Opinions on Tony Horton's P90X Exercise DVDs - 1 Year Later


A little over a year ago I posted an article on EzineArticles about Tony Horton's P90X DVDS, that article generated quite a lot of buzz about the product. Since then I've had a lot of people email in and asked if I still use the DVD's, and if I still feel the same way I did when I wrote the initial article.

Yes, and yes again. I still use them (my wife does as well), and I still maintain most of the opinions I had in the original article.

After Over a Year, Here's What I Feel About P90X:


  • It still is challenging, and it's still fun.

  • If you're creative with your workouts you can always keep them fresh. If you get a little bored with their routine, consider switching exercises around.

  • There are some exercises I just can't do, and there are some videos I tend not to use as much.

  • I still don't use the fitness guide, I think we recycled that. Of course this limits the effectiveness of the workouts and my results, but I am not going to count calories or eat like a rabbit.

  • I've read other reviewers complain that the music gets old quickly. Nonsense. While I am not looking for the music to download off of iTunes, it's not bad at all. Watching Tony and his crew didn't get boring either, even after I've used these discs repeatedly for over a year. I actually know most of Tony's banter and ad-libbing by heart now - my wife finds it funny that I can lip-synch to what he's saying while in between exercises.


Silly Observations and Personal Opinion:


  • My favorite disc is the first one: Chest and Back.

  • In one of the videos, Tony keeps calling Dave (a substitute teacher) by the wrong name. He calls him "Adam" and "Jason" or some other name. The guy takes it in stride though.

  • At the end of the Chest and Back routine either Tony calls Scott a "punk" or vice-versa, but I can't tell who's saying it.

  • In one of the routines, Tony is walking around giving everyone a congratulatory "high-five" in between exercises. While doing this, one of the participants (a blonde woman) totally ignores him - she's in her own world. The camera quickly cuts away, but it is kind of funny to watch.

  • My favorite 3 members of Tony's crew are: Maurine - she's always happy and smiling; Bobby - don't think this guy's got a mean bone in his body;  Phil - dude works frighteningly hard.


If You're Looking to Purchase P90X, Here's the Bottom Line:


  • If you want results you need to be consistent; Tony says "Just keep pressing play". He's right, if you keep showing up and trying your best, you will see results. If you're looking for the quick fix, forget it...but that never works anyway.

  • You can strive to keep up with Tony and his crew, but don't get discouraged if you can't. He's a pretty encouraging guy, so it's easy to stay motivated.

  • Try to do as many of the discs as you can, but like me, you may find some (or specific exercises) not safe to do. If you're going through a disc that has an exercise or two you can't do, skip to the next exercise or do some cardio work (jumping jacks, etc.) instead.

  • If it's been quite a while since you've exercised, or this is the first routine you've ever done. Consult with a doctor first, and consider working with a trainer instead (at least at first). Tony's not messing around and you could get hurt or discouraged if try too hard too fast.

  • I still go to the gym frequently and feel that it's a necessary component to exercise. For that reason I don't believe these discs alone can replace a good cardio machine and the professional equipment at the gym, but it's an outstanding compliment for anyone who wants to workout at home when they can't get to the gym. For most folks, P90X might be all they want out of exercise, for the more serious you'll want to integrate these into your gym routine.  

  • Lastly, people do ask me, "Would you still recommend these after having them for a year?" You bet.


PS - Tony (or someone else at Beach body) if you're reading this, consider having the discs available streaming online where people would be able to customize their own routines.

No comments:

Post a Comment