Monday, March 24, 2014

What Being In A Straight-Jacket Taught Me About My Photography Business!


Have you ever been strapped into a straight - jacket? Felt the claustrophobic squeeze as the straps are pulled tighter and tighter? Felt your breath being forced out of your lungs, your shoulders stretched to their very limits, sweat running into your eyes? I have, and it taught me a couple valuable lessons that I apply to my photography business every day!

No, I'm not crazy.

Well...maybe I am, but that's not why I was in the straight-jacket! While I was in high school, I became enamored of the magical arts and became an amateur magician. (Yes, I was a nerd and no I didn't have a date for the prom.) One branch of magic is doing escapes, ala Houdini. Back then, Houdini had only been dead about 30 years and was more of a household name than he is now. - Escapes were big!

Anyway...I learned how to get out of ropes and chains, then learned to pick the locks on handcuffs and it was only a matter of time before I went down to the local magic shop - and bought a straight-jacket.

All through high school, I practiced with that thing and got pretty good at getting out of it. I wouldn't want to try it underwater or hanging suspended by a burning rope, or any of the other death defying stunts the current batch of escapists are doing. But, for an onstage finale to my magic act, I did ok.

Then Vietnam got pretty hot so when I graduated, I joined the military. After a couple years, I eventually got stationed in Hawaii and did magic shows in my spare time.

I managed to get booked for a pretty big show and thought an escape would make a nice finale. Of course my straight - jacket was at home, stateside. So I went to the base infirmary and asked to borrow one! (By the way, when you go to a medical center and ask to borrow a straight-jacket be careful. They may lock you in a padded cell right then and there!)

Long story short, I finally convinced them to loan me one and on the night of the performance, my act was going real well and time for the big finale came!

You've probably guessed - right there, in front of hundreds of people - I couldn't get out!

Turns out, the Marine Corps actually does add a lot of muscle to your upper torso. Enough so, that it's harder to get out of a straight - jacket! A lot harder!

If I'd practiced beforehand, I'd have known that, but since I'd done the escape thousands of times, it never occurred to me to test the new jacket! That night taught me two valuable lessons that I apply to my photography every day.

Bet you thought I could never find a way to transition from straight-jackets to photography!

Lesson 1. Never do an important photo session with new or untested equipment! Even if you've been shooting for 10 or 20 years!

I can't tell you how often I've heard stories of people buying a new camera for their African safari and getting back, only to discover they were doing something wrong - and got no photos!

Or left the lens cap on at their daughters wedding.

Or got on location only to discover the new filters were the wrong size and wouldn't go on the lens.

Always test equipment before you put yourself in a situation where you need to rely on it! Sooner or later, you will save yourself from a bad situation.

Lesson 2. Some days you're the dog, some days you're the hydrant. No matter how bad you screw up - life goes on.

Don't let your insecurities stop you from going for it. I teach people easy and simple ways to market their photography and get started in their own photography business but, I find the biggest thing holding them back is their self-confidence. People are afraid they'll screw up a session and look silly. So, they never try.

Trust me, you will NEVER look as bad as a magician - in a straight-jacket - smiling sheepishly as the curtain goes down!

Know what? It's been 40 years since that night and never once have I run across anyone that was there that night. If you screw up - so what! You'll probably never see them again anyway. Learn your lesson and go to the next session.

You can make it - I know you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment