Sunday, June 23, 2013

Inspire Others to Achieve Excellence


You are great at what you do but are you inspiring others to achieve excellence? What is the sense of being great if you cannot inspire other people to maximize their full potential.

Allowing your life to be a model for others to follow is a noble calling. It reminds me of the time I was growing up in a small town and after graduating from high school, I attended college in Raleigh, North Carolina.

The town I grew up in was very small compared to other cities and even though the college I attended was only 45 miles south of my parents house, the differences were remarkable.

The differences take into account the people in my home town compared to the people in Raleigh. While in high school I wanted to play on the high school basketball team, unfortunately my skills did not fit in with the coaches plans.

Our high school coach led our high school to victory in the state of North Carolina during my sophomore year in school. I tried out for the team a year later and simply was not prepared for it. My solution to this issue was to try out for the football team.

I made the football team during my junior year of high school and the reason I excelled was because the football coach was a great role model. The fact of the matter, he inspired me to believe I could achieve anything I put my mind to.

Fast forward, two years later I was attending college. Raleigh, North Carolina is home to numerous colleges and universities in the state. One of the more prominent college coaches at the time was Lou Holtz. Coach Holtz led the North Carolina Wolfpack to prominence during his tenure at North Carolina State University.

I admired Coach Holtz and after graduating from college I joined the USAF. While attending a conference in Kansas City, Missouri, I met Coach Holtz. He was one of the keynote speakers at the convention I was attending.

Even though I do not personally know Lou Holtz, he continues to inspire me to this day. I attend conferences he speaks at, read his books, and since I am a speaker we travel in similar circles.

The bottom line is, people can inspire you even though they do not know you. But what about people that know you? Are you inspiring people you work for or with to achieve excellence?

Adopt a new strategy for your life, inspire as many people as you possibly can and see what a huge difference it will make. Chances are someone wants you to inspire them, do not disappoint them.

No comments:

Post a Comment